home . catalog . my account . reference and research . kids zone . teen zone . about us . contact us
______________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Quotastic!


Everyone has a hobby, right? Some people collect stamps. Or Magic cards. Or postcards. Me? I collect quotes. I love the power of words. So when I am reading a book, I keep a journal close by to jot down a quote that speaks to me. Here are some . . .

"It was a pleasure to burn." Ray Bradbury, from Fahrenheit 451 (One of my top 10 all time favorite books).

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going inti it, if you want to know the truth." J.D. Salinger from Catcher in the Rye

"It was a wild, windy, southwestern spring when the idea of killing Mr. Griffin occurred to them." Lois Duncan from Killing Mr. Griffin

"When the doorbell rings at three in the morning, it's never good news." Anthony Horowitz from Stormbreaker

"We went to the moon to have fun, but the moon turned out to completely suck." M. T. Anderson from Feed

"We will rise to the occasion, which is life." Virgina Euwer Woff from True Believer

"Strange how when you most want to say things, your brain gives you the least vocabular." Will Weaver from Claws

"Hope and sense aren't exactly kissing cousins" Margaret Peterson Haddix from the story Destination Unexpected

"All I know now was that nothing lasted forever, even a friendships, and that being different felt the same as being alone." Lauren Myracle from Kissing Kate

"Maybe people were always coming to each other - from the beginning of their lives. Maybe Miah had always been coming to me, to this moment, sitting in Central Park holding hands. Coming softly." Jacqueline Woodson from If You Come Softly (and if you really want to read an amazing love story, read this book.)

"As the hours crept by, the afternoon sunlight bleached all the books on the shelves to pale, gilded versions of themselves and warmed the paper and ink inside the covers so that the smell of unread words hung in the air." Maggie Stiefavter from Shiver

And I will leave you, dear blog reader, with this interesting discussion about boys in the novel Hope Was Here by Joan Bauer . . .

"Like all males, Hope, he has a code that has to be deciphered."
"What's the code?"
"I have no idea. But it's probably weirder than hieroglyphics."

And with the immortal words of Dr. Seuss . . .

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

Drop me a comment and let me know what your favorite book quotes are.

No comments: