home . catalog . my account . reference and research . kids zone . teen zone . about us . contact us
______________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, July 20, 2009

Fanging Around


I'm back with another look at what you read during this year's Teen Summer Reading Club . . . . and vampire fiction was very popular. Yes, yes it was. Here's a look at what you had to say:

Vampire Academy series by Rachel Mead
"I loved the story line." - Jacob, grade 9
"Awesome book"
"Really exciting book" - Alex, grade 12, talking about Frostbite
"Awesome book" - Alex, grade 12, talking about Shadow Kiss

The Morganville Vampires series by Rachel Caine
"The beginning of the book was slow in the dorm room but Claire makes things seem more interesting" - Kierra, grade 8, talking about Glass Houses (book 1)

(editor's note: this is an interesting series about a college that is next to a town where vampires not only are abundant and "out", but rule the town.)

Cirque Du Freak series by Darren Shan (and I am surprised by how popular this series still is)
"It was a great start to a really good series. I *heart* vampire books" - Jacob, grade 9
"This book was very interesting and once I started reading it I could barely put it down" - Robert, grade 9, talking about Killers of the Dawn
"This is the best book yet" - Aulbria, grade 10, talking about The Vampire Prince
"My favorite so far" - Aulbri, grade 10, on The Vampire's Assistant

Blue Blood series by De La Cruz
"I like the plot in the series. I'm ready for the 4th book after reading the 1st 3" - Kierra, grade 9

House of Night series by P. C. Cast (we now have this series on CD)
"Really good. Read all of series." - Bianca, grade 9
"Great twist and different outlook on vampires" - Brittany, grade 11
"This is the best House of Night novel so far. Not only is the style of writing cool but there is so much meaning. I think the main message is acceptance of those who are not like you because nobody is ever what you expect." - Aulbri, grade 10, on Untamed
"I love this series" - Aulbri, grade 10
"This is definitely the best yet of the House of Night series. It drew me in from page 1, and I finished it in only a few hours. I can hardly wait for the next one." - Kathleen, grade 8, on Hunted

Vampire Kisses series by Ellen Schreiber
"I've always liked books that involve vamps. This one is among my favorite." - Kierra, grade 9

Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klauss (one of the original, and the best)
"I really liked this book. I think the one downside is that it doesn't have a sequel." - Sierra, grade 11
"It was really good through most of the book but I was a bit disappointed with the ending" - Brittany, grade 11

The Vampire's Beautiful Daughter by S. P. Somtow
"Very good" - Taylor, grade 6

Salem's Lot by Stephen King (going old school)
"A wonderful vampire book. The vampires are vampires not pretty glittered up dolls. The disasters brought unlikely people together. It is revealed the victims are just as horrible as the monsters that drain them." - Aulbri, grade 10

No comments: